There are more than 2.5 million cases of multiple sclerosis worldwide and nearly 400,000 Americans are affected, according to Healthline. MS is an autoimmune disease that affects the central nervous system and it can leave those suffering from the disease paralyzed. It is irreversible, but there are medications and treatments that can make the side effects lessen. The Medical Department Store understands the severity of multiple sclerosis and we specialize in products to help make your life with MS easier.
Today we are going to showcase a few products at Valley Home Medical Supply that can help you live well with MS.
Memory Foam Contour Pillow- You deserve the utmost comfort while you sleep, so why not memory foam? This is a heavy weight memory foam pillow that is made of dense material and your comfort is guaranteed.
EZ-ACCESS Modular Ramp- as MS progresses, a wheelchair may be necessary if you are experiencing limited mobility and movement. An EZ-ACCESS ramp is easy to install and you won’t have to worry about rusting due to weather changes.
Inflatable Bathtub- Whether you are a caregiver of a loved one who lives with MS or you have MS yourself, an inflatable bathtub is helpful. Whoever washes your hair or body will be able to easily get around you and won’t leave any residue behind. You will feel more relaxed while getting your hair and body washed.
Hospital Bed- a hospital bed can provide the comfort and ease of use you need while lying down. MS is hard on the body, so each day when you go to bed, you want to have the ultimate comfort. There are many different options for the Medical Department Store when it comes to hospital beds.
The Medical Department Store wants to help you with all of your home medical needs, so contact us today for more information.
The spring season is finally here, the sun is peaking out (when it’s not raining) and the temperature is slowly rising. The spring season is the perfect season to get you out of the winter blues. The Medical Department Store is springing forward and taking the initiative to get healthy. Spring means summer is right around the corner and you want to be at your best, so we want to share some health spring power snack ideas with you.
Health Spring Power Snack Options:
- Yogurt covered blueberries- seems simple, right? These little pops of joy are simple to make, yet incredible to enjoy. Take one container of fresh blueberries and a container of blueberry flavored yogurt, or whichever flavor you choose. Rinse the berries, use a toothpick to dip them in the yogurt, lay them flat on a sheet of wax paper and freeze for about an hour.
- Banana wrapped in peanut butter- bananas and peanut butter will always be a classic combination. Try spreading peanut butter on a wheat tortilla, place a whole banana in it, and then wrap it up. After wrapping, cut into bite sized pieces for a delicious and energy boosting snack.
- Avocado toast- you may be looking for a snack that will give you the salty fix you’ve been craving. Avocado toast is easy: toast a piece of whole grain bread, mash your avocado, add any spices to it, pepper is a good choice, and then spread it on the toast. Simple, yet delicious and healthy.
- Toasted pumpkin seeds- although spring is not the prime time for fresh pumpkins, many stores carry packaged pumpkin seeds. Toss the pumpkin seeds in a bowl, add salt, garlic powder, olive oil and bake for about 15 minutes. An easy and delicious snack you can have for days.
The Medical Department Store wishes you well with your spring health kick! Contact us today for your home medical equipment needs.
The Medical Department Store is lucky to be located in the sunshine state of Florida, where the weather is warm year round. We are also pleased that Florida produces around 75% of the grapefruit crop, so we get the best and juiciest of them all. Considered one of the world’s healthiest foods, grapefruits are packed with vitamin C and other important vitamins and minerals. Today we are going to talk about some great ways to eat grapefruits and how you can add them to your favorite foods.
Broil your grapefruit- As if your morning fruit of choice wasn’t already flavorful, there is a way to make it even more phenomenal. Broiling grapefruit brings out the natural flavors and makes it a warm dish for a colder day. Directions: Cut the grapefruit in half and make slits throughout the fruit on its natural segments, then sprinkle cinnamon on top. Broil the halves for about 15 minutes or until golden brown. You’d be surprised at how delicious this is.
Grilled grapefruit- Living in the sunshine state means we can grill all year round! First cut the grapefruit in half then glaze each half with honey. Preheat the grill to hot, and place the fruit face down on the hot surface. Let it grill until there are grill marks, be sure to watch it so it doesn’t burn.
Add grapefruit to your favorite salad- Grapefruit can add a sweet yet sour twist to any healthy salad. Grapefruit is great paired with spinach, nuts, and lean protein. Top it off with vinaigrette and you are set to eat a delicious and filling meal.
The Medical Department Store wants you to share your favorite way to eat grapefruit with us. For all of your home medical needs, please contact us so we can help you improve your quality of life today.
When you think of working out, you may think of a vigorous exercise routine at the gym. This doesn’t have to be the case because let’s face it, not everyone is able to get to the gym for various reasons. As age increases, physical activity can be hard to achieve each day. The Medical Department Store is bringing you easy seated workouts that you can complete in the comfort of your own home. Whether you have diabetes, your age is increasing, or you simply cannot do vigorous activity, these exercises are for you.
Easy Seated Workouts:
*Remember to only complete exercises that you are physically able to do, never overexert yourself to the point of injury.
- Sit and Reach- Put your knees together while holding your back tall and reach one arm up to the ceiling. Hold for about 10 seconds and then do the other arm. For best results, make sure to do this at least twice on each side. This exercise will greatly improve your flexibility.
- Seated Tap Dance- If you love to dance, this is the move for you! Hold onto the chair and plant both feet on the ground, slowly raise your heel and then put it back down in a tapping motion. You can also kick your legs out a little further for more of a workout. This exercise will help to improve leg muscles.
- Kick and Clap- You may want to listen to your favorite tune while doing this exercise to make it more fun. While sitting in the chair, kick one leg up at a time while clapping your hands. Do 10 kicks total and rest as needed, then repeat. Your thigh muscles are the main area of concentration for this exercise.
Now that you have a few seated workouts, stay right where you are and get moving. The Medical Department Store has the perfect shoes for your workout. Check out our online catalog which is filled with footwear.
Mornings can be a constant struggle. It doesn’t seem that there is enough time to get up and ready, let alone have some time to eat breakfast or scroll through your Facebook feed. The energy you have throughout the day is determined by your morning routine, so we are giving you tips to jumpstart your January mornings. Even if you have a hard time getting up in the morning, these tips from the Medical Department Store can help you be more productive and energized all day long.
Don’t drink coffee right away: Don’t freak out, you can still drink coffee later in the morning. Coffee is the solution to a rough morning for many people. But studies have shown that caffeine has a better effect on you after you have been awake a couple hours. Instead, start your day with a glass of water to wake you up and kick start your metabolism. Don’t worry; you can have that cup of coffee mid-morning while you are at work or enjoying some time at home.
Eat a hearty and nutritious breakfast: When you hear the phrase, “you are what you eat” this is especially true in the morning. The first meal you eat each day determines your energy levels throughout the day. Even if you don’t have a huge appetite, fill your body with protein to help wake it up. Eat foods such as oatmeal, fresh fruit, or drink a protein shake if you don’t feel like eating.
Exercise when you get up: Starting your day with activity will increase your energy and speed up your metabolism all day. If you can’t muster the energy to complete a full work out, simple stretching or yoga poses can improve your day. Stretching wakes up your mind and body, improving your energy levels. Although it may see terrible to get up an hour earlier for an early morning workout, it will be worth it later on.
If you snooze, you lose: Resist the urge to snooze for a few more minutes. When your alarm goes off, adrenaline kicks in and your body is ready to get up. Hitting the snooze button throws off your internal clock and can mess up your entire day. Those extra few minutes are not worth confusing your mind and body.
Establishing a morning routine can help your mornings run more smoothly and start your day on the right foot. When your body gets used to waking up and completing certain tasks, you will stay energized throughout the rest of the day. The Medical Department Store wants you to live a lifestyle that is as active and healthy as possible. Browse through our online catalog to see if any of our products can help you do that!
It’s a New Year and that means it is time to get organized for the year ahead. Many people choose to get organized as a New Year’s resolution, but many of those same people fall through with the commitments of organization. The Medical Department Store is bringing you easy tips for getting organized in 2015, so you can live stress free. Every room of your house can benefit from these organizational tips.
Get organized in the New Year with these tips:
- Clean out the kitchen. Over the last year, your pantry surely collected dust on canned goods and boxed foods. Decide what your family will really eat, and donate the rest to the local food pantry. After you purge the items you will not use, wipe the shelves so there is no dust left behind.
- Tackle organizing the garage. Cleaning out your garage may take more than a few hours, so enlist the family in this organization project. You may find items you forgot about and you will feel accomplished when you’re finally able to fit two cars in there again.
- Recycle papers you don’t need. We all keep documents that become unnecessary over the years, so now is a good time to shred and toss. Look for local community shred days at banks and city centers. Your items will be safely disposed of.
- Go through your closet. Let’s face it; we all have a few too many clothing items that other people could benefit from. After going through your closet, hang your closes with the hanger facing the opposite way and as you wear clothing, put the hanger back the right way. At the end of the season, all the clothes still facing the opposite way can be donated if you haven’t worn them.
The Medical Department Store wants to hear your organization tips! Contact us today if you have questions about our products and services.
With a New Year around the corner, have you thought about a resolution for 2015? Near the end of each year, more than 45% of Americans come up with a New Year’s resolution according to Statistic Brain. With almost half of the population considering changing some part of their life in 2015, now is the time to think of a New Year’s resolution for you. The Medical Department Store is bringing you the most popular resolutions to consider.
Top New Year’s Resolutions:
- Lose Weight
- Getting Organized
- Spend Less, Save More
- Enjoy Life to the Fullest
- Staying Fit and Healthy
- Learn Something Exciting
- Quit Smoking
- Help Others in Their Dreams
- Fall in Love
- Spend More Time with Family
Maybe you’re considering choosing one of these resolutions or have an idea for yourself what you want to change in your life. If none of these resolutions seem to work for you, we have a list of broader categories to choose from.
Types of Resolutions to choose from:
- Self-Improvement resolutions
- Weight related resolutions
- Money related resolutions
- Relationship related resolutions
If you are looking for a few simple resolutions for 2015, we have a couple ideas to pay attention to. Your resolution doesn’t have to be a large undertaking. For example, if you are looking to lose weight or get into shape, you can take it slow. Commit to taking the stairs instead of the elevator or walk at least 30 minutes a day. Resolutions should be attainable, so start out simple and work your way up to bigger goals.
The Medical Department Store wishes you well in the New Year and beyond. Share your New Year’s resolution with us because we want to hear from you. Remember, the Medical Department Store is your one stop shop for home medical equipment and exercise equipment.
The holiday season is filled with temptations. From holiday feasts to the annual work party, it is sometimes hard to resist the delicious sweets. You can still enjoy eating the delicious foods as long as you are conscious of your health while doing so. Many appetizers can be near 60 calories per bite, so be aware of what you are grabbing at the work Christmas party or the family gathering.
Holiday Health Tips for Indulging without Overindulging:
- Keep your alcohol on the rocks. If you plan to drink over the holidays, putting the alcohol on ice will dilute the alcohol so you don’t catch a buzz too quickly.
- Turn down the pie. You shouldn’t feel like you have to take a piece of pecan pie just because your sweet aunt made it. No one will have hurt feelings and you will feel better about yourself later.
- Relax, you won’t gain 10 pounds. Many people assume that once January hits, you’ll need to go up a pant size. The average person only gains about a pound between the weeks of major holiday festivities.
- Weigh in every day. This may seem intimidating, but weighing yourself every day will keep you in check. This will help you gauge your losses and gains throughout the holiday season.
- Count your appetizer bites. Like we said earlier, appetizers and snacks can add up quickly. Try getting only a small plate to fill so you will feel like it is a lot of food but in reality it is not. Also try holding a drink in one hand and your food in the other; it is much harder to eat with one hand.
The holiday season is great for spending time with family and friends, but you don’t need to go overboard to have a good time. The Medical Department Store is here through the holidays, so contact us for all of your medical needs.
The leading cancer killer in both men and women each year is lung cancer according to the American Lung Association. With over 160,000 people losing their lives each year to this cancer, it is important to learn more about this disease with the Medical Department Store. Lung cancer has the most deaths worldwide.
Cancer kills 8.4 million people every year and 19% of those deaths are from this cancer.
With the number of deaths from cancer increasing, we are bringing you key statistics about lung disease.
There are many causes of the different types of lung cancer, but tobacco use/smoking is the number one cause.
Key statistics about lung cancer:
- The American Cancer Society’s estimates for lung cancer in the United States for 2014 are about 224,210 new cases of lung cancer (116,000 in men and 108,210 in women).
- Lung cancer accounts for about 27% of all cancer deaths and is by far the leading cause of cancer death among both men and women. Each year, more people die of lung cancer than of colon, breast, and prostate cancers combined.
- Overall, the possibility that a man will develop lung cancer in his lifetime is about 1 in 13; for a woman, the risk is about 1 in 16. These numbers include both smokers and non-smokers. For smokers the risk is much higher, while for non-smokers the risk is lower.
- The statistics on survival rates of lung cancer are dependent on the person’s age, which stage the cancer is at, and how soon it is detected.
- The five-year survival rate for lung cancer is 53.5 percent for cases detected when the disease is still localized (within the lungs). However, only 15 percent of lung cancer cases are diagnosed at an early stage.
If you or a loved one lives with lung cancer or has recently been diagnosed, the Medical Department Store is here with all the oxygen supplies you need. If you need portable oxygen, oxygen concentrators, or supplies, contact us today.
We have little ways to happier days. Everyone deserves to be happy, so here are some fun ways to do so.
Sometimes it is hard to be happy year round and with winter around the corner, there is typically a spike in seasonal depression. The Medical Department Store is bringing you little ways to happier days so you can have a happy day every day. Florida is the sunshine state, which can bring happiness every day of the year!
- Pay it forward. Every once in a while, buy the person behind you in line their meal or coffee. If they are having a stressful day, it can turn their world around. You will also feel good knowing you helped someone you didn’t know out.
- Look through old photos. There is nothing like looking through old memories and getting a good laugh. Grab the family to show them your childhood or teenage years. It will bring out fun family time and keep the past alive.
- Sing in the shower. Why not perk your day up with a couple of your favorite songs. Singing happy songs can boost your mood for the entire day ahead of you.
- Wish a good morning to everyone you see. You’d be surprised at how that can make someone’s day. Even if you don’t know the person in line at your favorite breakfast place, say good morning.
- Go for a walk outside. Not only will you be exercising your body, walking can give you a burst of energy to get you through the rest of the day. On your lunch break or sometime during the day, step outside for a change of scenery.
- Take the long way home. Whether you are leaving the grocery store or work, take a more scenic drive. This will help you de-stress at the end of a long day.
The Medical Department Store wants you to have happy days every day! We are here with nutritional supplements, bathroom safety, and walking aids. Here’s to countless happy days throughout November and all year round.