The leading cancer killer in both men and women each year is lung cancer according to the American Lung Association. With over 160,000 people losing their lives each year to this cancer, it is important to learn more about this disease with the Medical Department Store. Lung cancer has the most deaths worldwide.
Cancer kills 8.4 million people every year and 19% of those deaths are from this cancer.
With the number of deaths from cancer increasing, we are bringing you key statistics about lung disease.
There are many causes of the different types of lung cancer, but tobacco use/smoking is the number one cause.
Key statistics about lung cancer:
- The American Cancer Society’s estimates for lung cancer in the United States for 2014 are about 224,210 new cases of lung cancer (116,000 in men and 108,210 in women).
- Lung cancer accounts for about 27% of all cancer deaths and is by far the leading cause of cancer death among both men and women. Each year, more people die of lung cancer than of colon, breast, and prostate cancers combined.
- Overall, the possibility that a man will develop lung cancer in his lifetime is about 1 in 13; for a woman, the risk is about 1 in 16. These numbers include both smokers and non-smokers. For smokers the risk is much higher, while for non-smokers the risk is lower.
- The statistics on survival rates of lung cancer are dependent on the person’s age, which stage the cancer is at, and how soon it is detected.
- The five-year survival rate for lung cancer is 53.5 percent for cases detected when the disease is still localized (within the lungs). However, only 15 percent of lung cancer cases are diagnosed at an early stage.
If you or a loved one lives with lung cancer or has recently been diagnosed, the Medical Department Store is here with all the oxygen supplies you need. If you need portable oxygen, oxygen concentrators, or supplies, contact us today.